Pages

Monday, July 20, 2009

Upper GI / Barium Swallow

Last Friday I had my Upper GI / Barium Swallow Test to look for a hiatal hernia. Even if they found that I did have one, my surgeon will correct it while putting in my band.

Having the test was not a pleasant experience. It was, by far, my least favorite thing I've done since researching weight loss surgery.

My appointment was at 9am, but I needed to arrive at the hospital by 8:30 so they could check me in and get my insurance squared away. No eating after midnight, which was not as difficult as it's been before, but certainly wasn't a breeze. I'm one of those people who has to eat within 30 minutes of getting up. Anyway, got there, got checked in, waited, was called back, and changed into my gown. My gown was enormous. It was like they didn't have an "in between size." I'm probably too big for a regular one, but the big ones swallowed me whole.

Once I was dressed, they did my chest x-rays (easy - breezy) then took me back to the GI machine. I immediately had to drink two alka-selzer like tabs and not burp for the next 10 minutes. Next to impossible. All you want to do is let out a big burp! Then, I stood on this platform while they put this machine on my chest and I drank this thick chalky paste like goop that had a hint of fruit flavor in it. It was disgusting. I just took large gulps to get it all down. Then, the table I was leaning against turned sideways so I was laying down with this other machine on my chest / tummy. I had to quickly roll around so my stomach would get coated with that paste. They kept telling me which way to turn and, honestly, I soon forgot my left from my right! Then, I had to drink another concoction that was slightly thinner, but just as gross and turn, turn, turn, turn, turn, so the radiologist could take pictures. The worst part, though, was when I had to lay on my side, raise my head and drink water...harder than it sounds!!!!

Afterward, they told me to take a laxative b/c it would be slow moving and would come out white (which it did, lol!!!). Apparently, I'll have to get another of these immediately after surgery to make sure all went well...not looking forward to that!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment