Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

Like a bull in a china shop...

True story, I have an E.D. I think a few of us do who are overweight. I binge. No purge, just binge. This is one of the reasons why I go to a therapist!

She has a great analogy for talking about binging and how to stop it before it gets full-blown. She says that it's like I'm in a china shop and when I start my binge it's like I've dropped a tea cup. Instead of getting down in the dumps depressed about it and spiraling out of control into a full-blown binge I should stop with breaking the tea cup and not break all the china in the shop. It's like, okay. You effed up, you ate a pint of ice cream...but stop with that. Don't go for the package of cookies and bag of chips, too. Then, she says, we give ourselves hugs and kisses and move on.

This is so great, in theory. Only, when I start a binge and think of that saying I think to myself, "ahhh, eff it!" and continue shoving food in my mouth.

True story: the band does not cure binging. You can still do it, oh yes you can.

Another thing I've been thinking about when I binge (and I can honestly say I've never thought of it like this before) is why I do it. Yes, I have emotional hunger, but that hunger stems from sadness. The truth is that I'm incredibly unhappy with my life right now. All my unhappiness can, in one way or another, be attributed to my job. I travel 5 days a week and cannot get into a food / exercise routine, invest in my new friendships, sleep in my own bed, start dating, etc. I enjoy the actual work I do and the clients I work with, I just wish it wasn't in another state.

Things to think about...

Also, has anyone attended or know someone who has attended at OA meeting? What was it like? Positive / negative reviews?

2 comments:

Amy W. said...

I have never been. So I am no help there. Its so funny about binging with the band, bc most binge foods (for me) are the ones that go right through regardless of my restriction. Damn you snickers!

Erica125 said...

I know what you mean about binging. I was so good in the beginning, but now that I'm stuck in bandster hell, I find the old eating habits creeping back in. Ice cream, packages of cookies, candy, etc.

I looked into OA about a year or two ago, but never went. Sorry I can't help you with your question. But know that you are not alone.

Try to stay positive! Don't be too hard on yourself. Good luck!

Post a Comment