Pages

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Nutritionist

I had my final hurdle last week, meeting with the nutritionist.

It was a great meeting. The nutritionist works with a lot of bariatric patients, specifically a lot of Lap-Band patients so I felt really comfortable. We spoke a lot about my history with food, the issues I have, how that will affect my progress with the Band, and what I can start doing about it now.

Basically, food and I have a really bad history. It's been an abusive relationship almost all my life and it's probably going to take some counseling in order for this Band to really work for me. I've researched ED counselors and I think I've found a good one not far from where I work.

Also, I found out that I am severely anemic. As in, I should be craving chalk, paper, and ice. Luckily, I don't have those symptoms, but I do have a few others and have had them for some time. I'm always very tired (now I understand why I'm so sleepy all the time), irritable, and slightly depressed. I've known that I've had low iron for years, but didn't know it was that low. Well, it was and it's contributed to my anemic state. Basically, a normal woman's hemoglobin level is anywhere between 12 & 15. Mine is 6. I really need it to be a 7 or 8 to have surgery. My surgeon will sign off at a 6, but that's dangerous. It could mean that I might need a blood transfusion (and I don't want that). So, I'm working on eating lots of iron rich foods and am taking iron supplements to help me absorb some of that iron. It's going to be a long process, but hopefully, I'll start feeling better soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment